Every year, ONE in FOUR students fails to graduate from high school on time.
What is ReadingPals?
ReadingPals is a statewide early literacy initiative that provides volunteer mentors for students from Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) to 3rd grade who may need extra help, utilizing one-on-one or small group settings.
ReadingPals is managed by The Children’s Movement of Florida and administered through 17 United Ways — with the help of numerous community partners across the state.
United Way of the Big Bend is changing this statistic. Now in its seventh year, ReadingPals is continuing to work to improve the reading skills of students in Gadsden, Leon, and Madison Counties.
Last year, our ReadingPals volunteers read for 3,600 hours to over 200 students and gifted over 3,000 books!! As a result, more than 70% of our ReadingPals students achieved at least one years’ worth of reading growth from Fall 2016 to Spring 2017.
Mentors are matched one-to-one with students in kindergarten, first, or second grades
Mentors report during the after school setting for one hour a week during the school year
Mentors choose the school and the day that best fit their schedule
Mentors utilize a curriculum created by LCS District and UWBB that is tailored to children’s reading needs
Mentors present each student with a brand new book every week
Mentors receive training from UWBB and the school district (includes background screening)
Click on the cover for ReadingPals brochure and Official Statewide Q&A !
For more information and to register to become a ReadingPals volunteer, please contact Rebecca Weaver at 850-487-8091 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ReadingPals School Schedule 2019-2020
- Apalachee Tapestry Magnet School of the Arts — Tuesday/Wednesday 3:30-4:30pm
- Astoria Park Elementary School — Tuesday 3:30-4:30pm
- Bond Elementary School — Wednesday 3:30-4:30pm
- Desoto Trail Elementary School — Tuesday 3:45-4:45pm
- Fort Braden School — Wednesday 3:00-4:00pm
- Hartsfield Elementary School — Tuesday/Wednesday 3:30-4:30pm
- Hawks Rise Elementary School — Tuesday/Wednesday 3:00-4:00pm
- Killearn Lakes Elementary School — Tuesday 3:00-4:00pm
- Oakridge Elementary — Monday 1:45-2:45pm
- Pineview Elementary — Wednesday 3:30-4:30pm
- Riley Elementary School — Tuesday 12:20-1:30pm
- Roberts Elementary School — Wednesday 3:00-4:00pm
- Ruediger Elementary School — Tuesday/Thursday 4:30-5:30pm
- Sabal Palm Elementary School — Wednesday 8:45-9:45am
- Sealey Elementary School — Tuesday/Wednesday 4:30-5:30pm
- Woodville Elementary School — Thursday 3:30-4:30pm
- WT Moore Elementary School — Wednesday 3:30-4:30pm
- Greensboro Elementary — Tuesday 2:00-3:00pm