Beaches, heritage, exploration…
Whether laying in the sun on one of the beautiful beaches, climbing a lighthouse, enjoying fresh seafood, or discovering quaint boutiques, Coastal Franklin County is the place to be. United Way of the Big Bend works to make Franklin County stronger, safer, and healthier.
The Franklin County Community Investment Team, a team of local volunteers, meets each year to oversee the agency review process in order to distribute locally raised funds. The team reviews extensive applications from each agency and hears testimonials from clients or agency volunteers. Team members then decide which agencies qualify for UWBB status and what level of funding each will receive for the upcoming year.
We work to solve local problems specific to Franklin County. Through the help of our agencies, we provided basic needs, education, income, and health assistance to Franklin County residents in 2014.
- 158,394 meals were provided for individuals and families
- 19 individuals were provided shelter in a time of emergency
- 232 children and families benefitted from early-childhood, character-building, and educational programs and resources
- 115 students were given a free book through UWBB’s early literacy initiative, READ UNITED, and volunteers read a story to all 6 first grade public school classrooms in Franklin County.
- Over $10,507 was provided to help families during an emergency situation
- 347 people benefited from medical care, assistance, diagnosis, and prevention