Thank you for your interest in becoming a VITA volunteer.
Our VITA sites will be open from February 4th until April 15. Volunteering just a few hours each month will make such a difference in the lives of people right here in the community.
Since 2005, our volunteers have filed over 27,292 tax returns, saving more than $5 million in tax preparation fees. Our success is a direct result of the time, energy and commitment of volunteers like you.
No previous experience with tax preparation is required. All training sessions and training materials are provided to you at no cost.
VITA is seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Tax Site Greeters: welcome clients, make sure that all required paperwork is in order, and keep the waiting area running smoothly at VITA sites around the community.
- VITA Tax Preparers: prepare basic, current-year tax returns for taxpayers from January to April each year. Volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS. No previous tax preparation or accounting experience is needed.
- VITA Site Coordinators: manage the behind-the-scenes operations at a VITA site.
Upcoming VITA training dates:
• January 10th 9:00 – 12:30p (Session 2A)
• January 11th 9:00 – 12:30p (Session 2B)
• January 12th 9:00 – 4:00p (full day)
Trainings are held at the United Way of the Big Bend located at 307 E 7th Ave in midtown (Tallahassee)
Please email Rebecca Weaver at email@example.com to register to be a 2018 VITA Volunteer and to sign up for a Training Session.
Quick Facts about Volunteering with VITA:
Do I need to have previous tax preparation experience?
You don’t need any previous tax preparation or accounting experience. We provide free IRS-certified training and the tax software will guide you every step of the way.
What is the time commitment?
The time commitment is up to you. Volunteer as much or as little as you like. The hours are flexible so you can select the days and times that are convenient for you.
Where are the VITA sites?
We have locations throughout the Big Bend in Leon, Gadsden, Jefferson, Madison and Wakulla counties. You can choose to volunteer at a site that is convenient to where you live or work. Where you volunteer is up to you.
When are VITA sites open?
Hours of operation vary by VITA site location. Most sites are open one evening a week and during the day on Saturday.
How can I get more information?
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (850) 487.8091.